There were certain details I knew I wanted to add from the beginning, knowing my two cultures. With the Chinese aspect, I wanted to have a mandarin collar with the side opening with frog buttons, to relate back to traditional Chinese clothing. For the Canadian aspect, I wanted to have a part of the shirt to be flowy, to relate to the laidback aspect of Canada.
Once I chose my design, I started with creating drafts for my pattern pieces. Then, I was able to use those to create a muslin of the design to make sure it worked. The biggest challenge I faced was designing the alterations from a standard pattern piece for each part of the shirt. This was such a struggle because I have never created a lantern sleeve or a mandarin collar. Once I figured out the pattern pieces of the shirt, I was able to start creating the shirt in my final material.
The shirt that I ended up creating has a few ties to my heritage. As mentioned before, the collar and frog buttons linked with my Chinese background. The lantern sleeves also show to my Chinese background. The peplum skirt and cold shoulder cutouts show to my Canadian heritage.
Something I forgot to do was take into account that a person's head is wider than their neck and did not make sure that the neck hole/collar accounts for it. I will have to cut open where the current fake seam with the frog buttons to adjust for that. I will have to serge and close it with bias tape.
Award to Uniqueness